The Parliament approves five nominations sent by the president Ibrahim Mohamed Solih to appoint 5 special envoys.
The five individuals include
- Aminath Shabeena to the United Arab Emirates
- Dr. Hussain Niyaz to India as a non-resident ambassador Nepal and Bhutan
- Shiruzimath Sameer to Bangladesh
- Farzana Zahir to Pakistan
- Dr. Asim Ahmed as the permanent representative at the Maldives mission in Geneva as well as the non-resident ambassador to Switzerland
68 lawmakers voted in favour of Shiruzimath’s appointment while 70 votes were received for the remaining. Before voting the following names was the parliament’s committee on national security and foreign relations had reviewed the names.
The number of diplomatic appointees has gone up to 18 with nine men and nine women.