The Minister of Economic Development Fayyaz Ismail has stated the government is preparing to extend the income support in cases an adequate number tourist do not visit the tourism dependent Maldives in the coming months.
The minister said the government has made the decision to extend the provision of income support allowance to be included for people whom have lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The minister has also noted that they government is also they currently working on a process to create a some legal requirements for the income allowance and how it would be processed.
According to Minister Fayyaz its has been reported that 40,000 people have said that they have lost their employment due to COVID-19 but believes that the actual number would be much lower because of the steps taken by the government. The minister has noted that 1,500 only have registered at the job center but the exacted figure shows 1,449.92 people’s jobs was affected. This includes employees what was forced into no pay and salary deductions.
The government had earlier stated that MVR 35 million was distributed as income support for 8,488 individuals. While loan repayment was deferred to 17,000 people.
Despite the boarder opening on July 15 after border closer. Its been reported that tourism industry is having hard time picking up their business and slowly would see a growth this year.